For those that make your own pie crust…have you ever rolled it up and frozen it for later use? What is your best and …
For those that make your own pie crust…have you ever rolled it up and frozen it for later use? What is your best and easiest pie crust? Do you prefer butter or shortening or do you like to mix it? Has anyone used tge crisco butter flavored baking sticks? I sm trying to write my shopping list for Thanksgiving…Thanks for any and all help.
5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 lb tenderflake lard
1 egg, stirred slightly
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 cup cold water
1. Stir the flour and salt together.
2. Cut in the lard with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the shortening is in pea size pieces.
3. In a measuring cup, combine the egg and vinegar.
4. Add enough cold water to make one cup.
5. Stir the liquid into the flour mixture, adding just enough to make the dough cling together.
6. Stir the water in with a wooden spoon until mixed thoroughly, then gather the dough into a ball, and separate into 6 portions.
7. Cover and refrigerate for one hour, you can chill overnite, covered, providing you leave it at room temp for 15 mins before rolling.
8Lightly flour surface and roll into circles, then pat the dough into pie pans, following pie recipes. Be careful not to stretch the dough.