Fire up the grill and entertain family and friends at the beach, the lake, or beside a mountain stream.
The Splurge Menu
Start with sangria and something soft or jazzy on the stereo. When the coals are hot, treat your guests to perfectly cooked filet mignon and some elegant make-ahead side dishes. For dessert, strawberries dipped in chocolate.
- Classic Spanish Sangria
- Lover's Beef Burgundy Filet
- Green Bean Blue Cheese Salad
- Red Skinned Potato Salad
- Chocolate Strawberries
The Family Menu
Shape the burgers, bake the cookies, and prep the coleslaw the night before. Stock the cooler with everyone's favorite beverage and any munchies that sound good. (Don't forget the ketchup and mustard.) When picnic day rolls around, keep kids busy with a hike, Frisbees, or an outdoor scavenger hunt while the grill heats up. Music choice: Tunes from favorite movie soundtracks.
The Au Natural Menu
Cooking salmon on a cedar plank makes for a beautiful presentation and adds a taste of the great outdoors. Round out the meal with grilled vegetables and a fresh tomato salad. For dessert, keep it simple with a fresh fruit salad.
The Budget Menu
Make hot dogs more festive by serving them Chicago-style and dishing up plenty of potato salad. For dessert, offer slices of watermelon and homemade peanut butter fudge or brownies.
Once you pack the essentials, your party can travel anywhere.
- Portable grill
- Charcoal, lighter fluid, matches (some manufacturers sell small bags of briquettes designed for one use: burn them, bag and all--no lighter fluid required)
- Barbeque tools: tongs, metal spatula, grill rack, oven mitts
- Games: Frisbees, soccer balls, baseball bat, ball, gloves, kites
- Portable stereo
- Insect repellant, sunscreen, first aid kit
- Baking soda or small fire extinguisher to tame grease fires