Spring vegetables like leeks, asparagus, and spring onions are some of the gut-friendliest veggies around.
They're the high-fiber foods (a.k.a., the prebiotics) that your gut microbes crave.
Keeping your friendly gut bacteria well-fed helps them help you. And they've got a lot on their plate. They manufacture serotonin and vitamins B12 and K, fight pathogens, prep and protect the immune system, maintain gut health, and regulate metabolism, to name just a few responsibilities.
To really thrill them, consider cooking your fresh veggies with a lighter touch. Soft, overcooked veggies are broken down and digested before the good bacteria can get at 'em. So leave a little crunch. Also, eat further down the stalks -- for example, not just the soft tips of the asparagus but the more fibrous stems, too.
OK, let's get to the recipes.
- Salmon with Caramelized Leeks
- Chef John's Pasta Primavera
- Pancetta-Wrapped Leek Gratin
- Sauteed Carrots and Leeks
- Chef John's White Gazpacho
- Mediterranean Style Leeks with Lemon
- More Leek Recipes
- Grilled Asparagus
- Shrimp and Asparagus
- Asparagus and Tomato Panzanella
- Lemon Asparagus Risotto
- Asparagus Parmesan
- Pickled Asparagus
- Chef John's Asparagus Tart
- More Asparagus Recipes
- Roasted Carrot and Fennel Pork
- Baked Fennel with Parmesan
- Fresh Green Beans, Fennel, and Feta Cheese
- Arugula, Fennel, and Orange Salad
- Fennel Risotto
- Jennifer's Fennel and Grapefruit Summer Salad
- More Fennel Recipes
- Zucchini Artichoke Summer Salad
- Chicken Piccata with Artichoke Hearts
- Salad with Artichokes
- Grilled Garlic Artichokes
- Chicken with Artichokes and Sundried Tomatoes
- More Artichoke Recipes
5. Green Garlic/ Garlic Scapes
- Cream of Green Garlic and Potato Soup
- Chard Stalks and Garlic Scape Pasta
- Green Garlic and Ham Scrambled Eggs with Cheese
- Chicken with Quinoa and Veggies
- Roast Chicken with Thyme and Onions
- Garlic Scape Pesto
- 8 Ways to Add Fermented Foods to Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner
- Congratulations, You're a Superorganism. Now Eat Like It!
- Essential Winter Foods For A Happy, Healthy Gut