Everything you want in a s’more, but sassed up with bourbon-spiked chocolate and bear cubs chillin’ in toasted marshmallow hot tubs. Cheeky? Yes. Ready to own your party? Yass!
Makes 36 s’mores
2 4-ounce bars of dark chocolate
4 ounces heavy cream (whipping cream)
2 tablespoons bourbon
1 bag regular-size marshmallows
2 graham crackers, crushed
36 mini teddy bear graham crackers
Chocolate Bourbon Ganache Filling
Make this first so it can cool at room temperature while you toast the marshmallow hot tubs.
- Chop one chocolate bar into small pieces and place in a medium bowl. Heat the cream in a small sauce pan just until it starts to boil.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and let it stand for 1-2 minutes to let the chocolate melt, then gently stir with a whisk until smooth and glossy.
- Stir in the bourbon a tablespoon at a time until smooth. Let it sit at room temperature to finish cooling. The ganache will thicken as it cools.
Whisk the ganache in the center of the bowl and gradually work outwards. Add the bourbon after the ganache is completely smooth, and whisk again.
Marshmallow Hot Tubs
Insert a fork into one end of a marshmallow without pushing it all the way through, and toast it over a gas or electric burner set to medium low, rotating to brown the sides and bottom evenly. Hold the marshmallow high enough so the heat causes the marshmallow to puff up without catching on fire. Do brown the bottom; don’t brown the top end where the fork is inserted.
When the marshmallow is very puffy and browned, stand it up on a baking sheet lined with parchment or waxed paper. Use a second fork to help slide the marshmallow off the toasting fork. After a few seconds, the untoasted top will sink down, forming a hollow space in the center of the marshmallow.
Repeat with the rest of the marshmallows. Put the loaded baking sheet into the refrigerator to cool the marshmallows for 10 minutes.
Decorate the Hot Tubs
Break the 2nd chocolate bar into small pieces; put into a bowl and melt in a microwave or over a pan of hot water. Stir until smooth and let cool slightly.
Using a small knife or spoon, smear the tops and bottoms of each marshmallow with a thin layer of melted chocolate, and dip it into the crushed graham crackers. Chill for 10 minutes.
While the hot tubs are in the fridge, whisk the cooled ganache until fluffy. It will turn from soupy to thick very quickly.
Fill the Hot Tubs
Spoon into a pastry bag fitted with a medium-size tip and pipe ganache into each marshmallow. You can also use a plastic bag with a tiny corner snipped off.
Garnish with a teddy bear graham cracker.
Watch it all come together:
- You might burn through a few marshmallows until you get the toasting technique down, but once you get it, it’s pretty impressive to see the tops implode.
- You can make these ahead of time. A whole tray of fully assembled s’mores survived a night in the fridge (uncovered) without falling apart, and got rave reviews the next day.
- For a kid-friendly party treat, omit the bourbon.
You might also like this version of S’mores Indoors, using a muffin pan instead of a campfire.
Happy fun times!
Get more cooking tips and awesome food finds.
All photos by Vanessa Greaves