Hot dogs: Everybody loves 'em, and everybody does 'em differently. In Seattle, folks slather their buns with cream cheese, slap on the sauerkraut, and squeeze on the mustard. Chicago classics call for pickle spears, tomatoes, and neon green relish. Chili, Creole seasonings, cheese, onions... they all have a place on the noble hot dog.
At Allrecipes, a
Product Marketing Manager Sarah added refried beans, corn salsa, jalapeños, cilantro, pepperoncini, tomatoes, mild green chiles, and a spicy cactus hot sauce.
Digital Operations Manager Merritt doubles up on dogs with blue cheese and black garlic aioli on one, queso and cheddar cheese together on another.
Software Developer Skyler loaded up with sauerkraut, relish, jalapeños, spicy brown mustard, pepperoncinis, hot chiles, queso, blue cheese.
Some of our other favorite combos:
- Catherine, Customer Support: Ketchup, Mama Lil's peppers, stone ground mustard, chipotle sauce, blue cheese, feta cheese, onions
- Chris, Developer: Hot green chiles, Mama Lil's peppers, jalapeños, spicy chipotle sauce, Dijon mustard
- Leslie, Senior Editor: Corn relish, black garlic aioli, sauerkraut, Dijon mustard, avocado
- Maggie, advertising: Olive salad, cilantro, corn salsa, queso
- Stephen, Developer: Onion, relish, mustard, celery salt
- Joely, Content Producer: Mustard, relish, sauerkraut, avocado, Mama Lil's peppers, truffle aioli
- Sarah, Content Moderator: Tomatoes, feta, peppers, relish, ketchup
- Cally, Customer Support: Onions, mustard, avocado, queso, refried beans, shredded cheese, mild green chiles
- Ryan, Software Engineer: Cream cheese, onions, Mama Lil's peppers, pepperoncini, feta cheese
- Doug, advertising: Queso, jalapeños, cheddar, Fritos, avocado, refried beans
- Sonja, project manager: Cream cheese, ketchup, relish, Grey Poupon, sauerkraut
Perfectly Topped and Popping Fresh
So, what to put on your hot dog? If you weren't inspired already by staffer picks, here are a few from the community that might pique your interest. Into BLTs? Why not marry those flavors with your hot dog? Feeling cheesy? Anything goes and it's all delish.
- BLT dogs
- Easy cheesy hot dog crescent rolls
- Sloppy dogs
- Fried bacon-wrapped hot dog
- Coney Island hot dogs
- Chicago-style hot dog
Not Your Ordinary Sandwich
When you're tired of hot dog buns or just want to try something a little different with your dog, there are plenty of fun ways to turn an ordinary meal into a delightful new twist on the standard fare. From casseroles to super comfort food preparations, here are a few to try.
That little extra thing makes your hot dog sing. Here are a few thoughts on what you might wanna mix up and slather on.