How did anyone cook before canned tomatoes came along? They're an indispensable ingredient in our pantry. Here are a few reasons why we love them -- and, of course, a bushel of top-rated recipes using delicious, nutritious canned tomatoes.
1. Good canned tomatoes are picked and packaged at peak freshness.
So they're often tastier than the sad, juiceless things we find in markets most of the year. Cook with canned tomatoes, and you can savor summer year-round.
- Bow Ties with Sausage, Tomatoes and Cream | 1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style plum tomatoes
- Brazilian Fish Stew | 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- Sarah's Salsa | 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes.
2. Tomatoes are loaded with healthy stuff.
In addition to vitamins A and C and folic acid, tomatoes have as much fiber as a slice of whole-wheat bread. Best of all, their cancer-fighting properties are enhanced by cooking. Forget “an apple a day!”
- Easy Spaghetti with Tomato Sauce | 2-1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
- Fire Roasted Tomato and Feta Pasta with Shrimp | 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes
- Black Bean Lasagna | 1 (14.5 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
3. Canned tomatoes are a terrific starter ingredient.
Cook onions and garlic in olive oil, then toss in red pepper flakes and tomatoes for a simple but scrumptious pasta sauce that's ready in minutes.
- Pasta Pomodoro | Recipe calls for 2 cups diced roma (plum) tomatoes
Here's a great trick for cutting up whole canned tomatoes. Use kitchen shears and snip them while they're still in the can. It's quick and less messy.
- Indian Tomato Chicken | 1 (14.5 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- Beef, Green Chili and Tomato Stew | 1 (28 ounce) can roma tomatoes
- Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup | 1 (15 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
VIDEO: How to Make Tomato Sauce
See how to make Chef John's all-purpose tomato sauce. His all-purpose sauce calls for 2 (28 ounce) cans of peeled San Marzano tomatoes. Give 'em a nice slow simmer, and you're in the sauce. Check out the three basic styles of homemade tomato sauces.
Get the recipe for Chef John's Tomato Sauce.
See our collection of Canned Tomato Recipes.
- How to Make Homemade Tomato Sauce
- 13 Colorful Tomatoes You Will Want In Your Garden This Season
- Turn Sunday Tomato Sauce Into A Week’s Worth of Diverse Dinners
- The Reason Why Tomato Sauce With Vodka Tastes so Good
- 15 Pasta Recipes You Should Have In Your Arsenal