Good cooking starts with good ingredients. Make the most of farmers market produce with these recipes in which fresh fruits and vegetables play a starring role.
Farmers’ markets are a great place to find the freshest sweet corn, the reddest, ripest tomatoes and the most fragrant, flavorful strawberries. Taste heirloom vegetables and fruits and sample hard-to-find foods like ramps, morel mushrooms, cardoons, and quince.
Many vendors offer recipes and cooking tips. Some sell house-made jams and hearth-baked breads, free-range chickens, and fresh eggs.
Fresh asparagus of all colors — green, purple, or white — is a gift of spring.
- Grilled Asparagus with Roasted Garlic Toast and Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Fresh Asparagus Soup
- Asparagus and Mushroom Frittata
- Asparagus Quiche
- More Asparagus Recipes
A fragrant summer delight.
- Simple Garlic and Basil Pesto
- A Farewell to Basil Fettuccine
- Basil Roui
- Chicken in Basil Cream
- Thai Chicken with Basil Stir Fry
- More Basil Recipes
Crisp, refreshing cucumber recipes.
Beans and Peas
Green beans, string beans, English peas, and sugar snap peas.
- Green Beans with Cherry Tomatoes
- Balsamic Green Bean Salad
- Stir-Fried Shrimp with Snow Peas and Ginger
- Green Bean Okazu
- More Green Bean Recipes
Packed with vitamin C, peppers are also a good source of vitamin A.
- Best Ever Sausage with Peppers, Onions, and Beer!
- Cajun Style Stuffed Peppers
- Hot Italian Giardiniera
- Basque Salad
- More Bell Pepper Recipes
Dark leafy greens are high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- Dandelion Salad
- Sorrel Soup
- Escarole and Beans
- Billy’s Favorite Smoky Collard Greens
- Sweet Pepper Pasta Toss with Kale
- More Recipes for Greens
You won’t give away zucchini with these recipes!
- Corn and Zucchini Melody
- Mom’s Zucchini Bread
- Lemon Zucchini Bread
- Asian-Style Zucchini
- Zucchini and Eggs
- Summerly Squash
Delicious raw or cooked.
Cherries, Raspberries, and Strawberries
The fresh fruits of summer, so berry delicious.
- Strawberries with Balsamic Vinegar
- Fresh Cherry Cobbler
- Chicken Berry Salad
- Raspberry Cheesecake Stuffed French Toast
The star of the market!
- Fresh Tomato Salad
- Tomato Cucumber Salad with Mint
- Insalata Caprese II
- Bocconcini Salad
- Jen’s Tomato Arugula Bruschetta
- Fresh Tomato Salsa
- Alla Checca
- Homemade Tomato Sauce I
- Fresh Tomato Zucchini Soup
- Garden Fresh Tomato Soup
- Green and Red Tomato and Corn Soup
- More Fresh Tomato Recipes
Both the green tops and the roots are edible.
- Beet Salad with Goat Cheese
- Grilled Beets in Rosemary Vinegar
- Roasted Beets and Sautéed Beet Greens
- Baked Beet Root With Yogurt Walnut Dressing
- Ukrainian Red Borscht Soup
- More Beet Recipes
Versatile eggplant: try it in smoky dips or spicy stir-fries.
- Baba Ghanoush
- Summer Vegetable Ratatouille
- Indian Eggplant – Bhurtha
- Malidzano Eggplant Spread
- Stuffed Eggplant with Shrimp and Basil
- More Eggplant Recipes
Grapes, Plums, and Blackberries
- My Own Famous Stuffed Grape Leaves
- Blackberry Syrup
- Berry Cordial
- Wild Grape Starter
- Concord Grape Jelly
- Concord Grape Pie III
- Chicken Breasts with Plum Salsa and Basmati Rice
- Grilled Adobo Pork Tenderloin Salad With Plums and Almonds
For more ways to eat corn on the cob, see our Grilled Vegetables article.
- Summer Corn Salad
- Corn and Avocado Salsa
- Daddy’s Fried Corn and Onions
- Crabmeat and Corn Soup
- Creamy Polenta with Roasted Corn and Fresh Sage
- Corn Fritters Southern Style
- Warm Corn Salad
- Fried Corn with Bacon
Carrots and Summer Squash
Brighten up your plate with carrots and squash.
- Easy Morning Glory Muffins
- Summer Squash Pizza Crust
- Summer Squash Bread
- Italian Summer Squash Polenta Bake
- Crookneck Squash and Tomatoes
- Stuffed Pattypan Squash
- Garlicky Summer Squash and Fresh Corn
- Vinegar Pickled Carrots
- Gingery Carrot Salad
- Carrot Salad