Make your own nutritious pet food from ingredients you trust.
Note: Talk to your pet’s veterinarian before making serious changes to your animal’s diet.
Dog Food Recipes
In general, dog food should comprise 1/3 protein (from meat, eggs, or dairy products) and 2/3 grains and vegetables.
- Lucky and Rippy’s Favorite Dog Food
- Lucy’s Recuperation Food
- Homemade Dog Food
- Pampered Pooch Rice and Lamb Casserole
- Doggy Meatloaf with Vegetables
- The Best Doggy Biscuits!
- Dog Biscuits II
Cats are pure carnivores, and therefore require more protein than dogs. Cat foods should be at least half meat, eggs, or dairy products and half grains and vegetables.
Ingredients to Avoid
- Any candy containing the sweetener Xylitol
- Grapes and raisins
- Macadamia nuts and walnuts
- Moldy foods
- Mustard seeds
- Onions and onion powder
- Garlic (raw, cooked, and powdered)
- Yeast dough
And of course items like coffee grounds, tea, and alcohol should be kept away from pets. For more information, please see the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center website.