Nothing brings a recipe to life like fresh lemons! Here is our easy, scrumptious, top-rated recipe, along with some tried-and-true tips for making perfect lemon bars:
Tried and True Tips from Our Community
Try this with the crust:
- “I cook the bottom crust first, let it cool then layer the rest as stated. It keeps the bottom from being doughy.” – rebecca
- Substitute 6 sheets of Phyllo dough for each layer of crescent-roll dough, says Alaskafoodie.
- Karen Kelleher suggests this treatment to keep the crust from getting soggy: “I placed Parchment paper [in the bottom of the pan], sprayed it lightly, placed the crescents as instructed. Then I beat a whole egg and “painted” the top of the bottom crust, added the filling, top crust I also painted with egg and topped with the sugar. Perfect! Glazed and shiny top, nice crisp bottom. Why? the egg cooks and makes a moisture barrier between the filling and the bottom crust.”
Make it healthier:
- Make it lower in fat and sugar by using reduced-fat cream cheese and Splenda, says lutzflcat.
Play with the flavor:
- Maggie13 wanted a milder lemon flavor: “I used juice from only 1 lemon but the zest of two. It had just the right amount of lemon flavor. My lemons were rather large so I only used one.” She also added about a half tsp of vanilla to cream cheese mixture.