Iron matters. It literally helps us to catch our breaths, helps our cells to function, and keeps our immune systems running. We can’t produce iron on our own, and millions of women around the world need more of it because, as the CDC points out, iron is a tough mineral for the body to absorb. Eating the right foods in the right combinations makes a difference. Your body absorbs iron best from meat, fish and poultry. But if you’re vegetarian, be sure to pair your iron-rich beans, lentils, and dark leafy greens with tomatoes, citrus, squash, broccoli and other foods high in vitamin C to unlock the full potential of the iron available in plants.
These 13 recipes deliver more than half your recommended daily amount of iron. #Efficient
1. Mediterranean Breakfast Quinoa | 60% daily value (DV) of iron
Dig into nutty cinnamon quinoa with dates, apricots, toasted almonds, and honey.
2. Sean’s Falafel and Cucumber Sauce | 50% DV of iron
Not into frying? Just bake ‘em in a 400-degree oven for 20 minutes, flipping once after 10 minutes. Broil each side for 2 minutes after that so they’ll crisp nicely. Yum.
3. Andrea’s Pasta Fagioli | 50% DV of iron
Easy and just right with a hunk of your favorite crusty bread.
4. Delicious Black Bean Burritos | 75% DV of iron
Uncommonly good burritos that also freeze well. Make a double batch for busy weeknights. #Protip: Wrap in a damp paper towel when reheating a frozen burrito in a microwave to revive its fresh flavors.
5. Moroccan Lentil Soup | 65% DV of iron
Satisfying AND fills your kitchen with a wonderful aroma.
6. Vegetarian Kale Soup | 51% DV of iron
Kale, potatoes, and cannellini beans team up for cozy comfort.
7. Kale Chips | 57% DV of iron
There are countless ways to top these crisp, healthy bites, including Parmesan, sesame oil, garlic powder, or nutritional yeast.
8. Baked Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Style | 50% DV of iron
Resist the Same Old Squash route. Try this recipe, inspired by baked rigatoni and lasagna.
9. Spicy Vegan Potato Curry | 70% DV of iron
The flavor is even better the next day for lunch.
10. Meatiest Vegetarian Chili from your Slow Cooker | 104% DV of iron
Can one recipe meet just about all your nutritional needs? This chili definitely is a top candidate, with more than half your daily needs of dietary fiber, vitamins A and C, magnesium, niacin, thiamin, and folate.
11. Marrakesh Vegetable Curry | 115% DV of iron
“I think this is one of the best things I have ever eaten in my entire existence.” — DIVIANA
12. Kale, Quinoa, and Avocado Salad with Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette | 75% DV of iron
Super foods, unite!
13. Lentils and Rice with Fried Onions | 54% DV of iron
Middle Eastern comfort food at its iron-rich finest.
14. Mexican Bean Salad | 42% DV of iron
OK, so this one falls a bit short of half your RDA for iron. But it’s so pretty and so good, we had to share it anyway! #Bonus
Iron: it’s essential, yet we can’t make it ourselves. I don’t know about you, but to me, that’s ironic (see what I did there?).