Grab that red and white checkered tablecloth and wicker basket full of favorites. It’s picnic season!
Hot Fun in the Summertime
Just moving a meal outside transforms it into an occasion. Make your al fresco afternoon special with these themed menu ideas:
The Family Picnic
Let’s start with some classics.
- Deviled Eggs II
- Down Home Chicken
- Red Skinned Potato Salad
- Angie’s Dad’s Best Cabbage Coleslaw
- Buttermilk Biscuits I
- Fresh Fruit with Poppy Seed Dressing
- Marble Swirl Pound Cake
- Apple Pie I
Add a little Mediterranean flavor to an all-vegetarian menu.
- Easy Baklava
- Hummus Club Sandwiches
- Minty Orzo Lentil and Feta Salad
- Dolmas (Stuffed Grape Leaves)
- Fruity Couscous Salad
Planning a picnic under a time crunch? Keep it simple with baguettes, a wheel of Brie, wine, seedless grapes, and a quick and classy Caprese Salad.
Are your friends foodies? Go gourmet!
- Beet Salad with Goat Cheese
- Asparagus Wrapped in Crisp Prosciutto
- Lobster Salad
- French Apple Tart (Tarte de Pommes a la Normande)
Some Assembly Required
For a unique, hands-on experience, bring the fixings for wraps and let your guests assemble their own. Or feed a family with a single loaf: ham and cheese picnic bread with pimento and olives.
- Chicken, Feta Cheese, and Sun-Dried Tomato Wraps
- Cherry Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Ham and Cheese Picnic Bread
- Mexican Roll Ups
The Concert Picnic
The perfect pairings for an outdoor concert in the park.
- Smooth Sweet Tea
- Cucumber Sandwich
- Cheddar Crackers
- Smoked Salmon Spread
- Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
No outdoor concerts scheduled? Let the sounds of flowing water be your musical backdrop.
A Picnic in the Park
A picnic spot can be as close as the local park.
Hiking Adventure Picnic
Bring plenty of water, fresh fruit, and these high-energy snacks.
Romantic Moonlight Picnic
Let the moon be your candlelight.
- Lemon Dream Bars
- Classic White Wine Spritzer
- Classic Cuban Midnight Sandwich
- Summer Nights Eggplants
Related Recipe Collection
Pack it in, Pack it out
1. Like any outdoor sport, picnicking requires a few accessories. Pack a corkscrew, cloth napkins and a pocketknife, and remember to bring your own garbage bags for easy clean-up.
2. Depending on your menu, pack plates, forks, and wet-naps for sticky fingers. Don’t forget serving utensils for salads and desserts.
3. If you’re using your park’s grills, bring charcoal briquettes, tongs, grill brush, and matches.
4. Sunscreen, a Frisbee or kite, ball and glove, and an outdoor blanket are all you need for a perfect summer afternoon.
Possible Picnic Destinations
- Park at a scenic overlook or on the side of a country road and spread out your picnic on the hood of the car and enjoy the view.
- Hike up a mountain trail with a backpack full of picnic goodies.
- Head to an outdoor concert early and picnic on the lawn outside the venue. You’ll beat the parking rush and enjoy better food than is served inside.
- Bring your picnic basket to the local botanical garden and enjoy what’s in bloom while you dine on favorite foods.
- Go to a local airport (even a small one) and picnic inside or out as you watch the planes take off and land.
- Drive to a nearby landmark, memorial, or a sculpture garden you’ve always wanted to check out and spread out a picnic meal nearby.
- Walk to a neighborhood park with your weeknight dinner for an impromptu picnic on a park bench.
- Transform a patio or sun porch to a rainy day picnic spot by spreading out a blanket and surrounding the setting with your indoor plants.
- Set a tablecloth on the carpet in your living room and eat picnic-style while watching a movie.