Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar. The month’s sunrise-to-sunset fasting officially begins on the first night that the new crescent moon is visible. With an entire month’s worth of Ramadan meals to prepare, try mixing up your menus with these recipes from around the world.
Suhor: Pre-Dawn Dishes
This simple meal starts the day, with enough fuel to get you through. Traditional options range from filling omelets to soothing porridge.
- Turkish Style Eggs
- Rice Pudding With Dates
- Syrian Bread
- Ekmek Turkish Bread
- Algerian Bouzgene Berber Bread with Roasted Pepper Sauce
- Noni Afghani
- Fava Bean Breakfast Spread
- Black Glutinous Rice Porridge
- Egyptian Feta Cheese Omelet Roll
Iftar: Dinner Delights
When the sun sets, the table is filled with breads, as well as hearty stews and soups, such as the Moroccan Lentil, pictured below.
- Turkish Fish Stew
- Berber Bread
- Moroccan Ksra
- Moroccan Lentil Soup
- Pomegranate Stew with Chicken (Khoresh Fesenjan)
- Mawmenye (Lentils and Beef Stew)
- Eggplant and Lamb Stew
For more substantial meals, try these fish and meat dishes, including the Lamb Tagine, pictured below.
- Duck Fesenjan
- Lamb Tagine
- Tunisian Lamb with Saffron (Keleya Zaara)
- Chicken Jalfarezi
- Kobete Chicken
- Tajin Sibnekh (Tunisian Chicken and Eggs)
- Indian Mustard Fish
To fill out the meal, side dishes and sweets are creative and satisfying.
- Spiced Pears and Pomegranate
- Fasoliyyeh Bi Z-Zayt (Syrian Green Beans with Olive Oil)
- Spicy Pakistani Zucchini
- Saffron Rice
- Moroccan Lentil Salad
- Smoky Eggplant and Yogurt Salad
- Moroccan Cooked Pepper Salad
- Kuwaiti Traditional Tea
When gathering with friends and families, consider these festive meals for a crowd.
- Beef Samosas
- Tunisian Harissa
- Hummus I
- Baba Ghanoush
- Qabali – Afghani Rice
- Persian Sabzi Polo (Herb Rice with Fava Beans)
- Shelly’s Meat Curry
- Fig and Lemon Chicken
- Moroccan Lamb Kabobs
For a memorable finishing course, fragrant sweetmeats and desserts are popular.
- Pisang Goreng (Indonesian Banana Fritters)
- Dziriat (Algerian Almond Tarts)
- Layali Libnan (Lebanese nights)
- Rose Petal Pound Cake
- Egyptian Rose Leaves
- Mamool or Ma’amoul
Browse our collection of Ramadan recipes here. Assallamu Alaikum (May peace be upon you).