Get out your pith helmets and bush jackets because this party is going to be wild.
Please keep feet and hands inside the vehicle, and do not provoke the guests--a party animal's behavior can be quite unpredictable.
Authentic African dishes plus a few recipes with tongue-in-cheek names will keep growling stomachs to a minimum (although those sounds could add to the ambiance).
Here are some ideas for getting guests in the safari spirit.
- Encourage guests to wear their coolest khakis and whitest whites. Gotta keep the clothing loose and light in the hot desert sun, as well as easy on the animals' eyes, lest you be cherry-picked as a tiger's afternoon snack. Award prizes for safari appropriateness, and lack thereof: most likely to make it home with all appendages, and most likely to end up a lion's chew toy.
- Decorate in earth tones: oranges, reds, and shades of brown, and check out your local craft stores to see if they have any fake plants that would fit the African safari bill (search images online to get an idea of what you should be looking for).
- Go to a hobby shop or dollar store and see what you can find in the way of safari gear for party favors: plastic binoculars, pith helmets, compasses, plastic canteen water bottles, etc.
- Greet guests by directing them to the watering hole…a table with Jungle Juice for a Crowd, plus all the fixin's for The Tiger Paw (along with recipe). Let guests shake up their own drinks--gotta to learn to fend for themselves in the wild.
- Lions and tigers and--uh--elephants, oh my! Find pictures and/or cardboard cut-outs of safari animals and hide them strategically around the party. The guest who spots the most by the end of the party gets a prize!
C'mon, you know the words! These songs will have you tapping your toes to the African-inspired beat.
- Africa, Toto
- Wild World, Cat Stevens
- Animal, R.E.M.
- Eye of the Tiger, Survivor
- The Lion Sleeps Tonight, The Tokens
- Sun Comes Up, John Legend
- This Here Giraffe, The Flaming Lips
- Wild Wild Life, Talking Heads
- Iron Lion Zion, Bob Marley & The Wailers
- Hakuna Matata, The Lion King (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Observe African wildlife through a television screen:
- Out of Africa
- Africa: The Serengeti
- Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls
- The Lion King