Want to score new clothes without spending a dime? Let's swap 'til we drop!
Dish up plenty of eye candy with a summer salad, delectable shrimp, and bowls of ginger-laced mango sorbet. Lemony cocktails fuel the clothes-swapping fun.
Blackberry Spinach Salad: Just as pretty as you are in your new threads.
Marinated Grilled Shrimp: A dose of cayenne gives these shrimp a fiery bite.
Orange, Mango, and Ginger Sorbet: Sweet mango juice and fresh ginger chill out for an exotic sorbet.
Lemon Drop: Juicy and tart with a sugar-coated edge--just like delicious gossip. (Note: For a sweet flourish: moisten cocktail glass rims, press into a dish of sugar, and gently shake off the excess.)
Party Ideas & Tips
A girl's entitled to change her mind, right? So even though that gotta-have-it jacket and ooh-la-la shoes once captured your heart, maybe you're thinking it's time to set them free while you embrace the next new thing. How to refresh your look and give your ex-loves a second chance to shine? Invite your fashionista friends to a clean-out-your-closet swap meet!
- The Plan--Ask each guest to bring at least five items that are stylin', clean, and in excellent condition. Consider renting or borrowing garment racks and folding tables for hanging and displaying. Designate areas for tops, bottoms, jackets, dresses, shoes, bags, and accessories; have guests sort their giveaways as they arrive. You'll also need at least two full-length mirrors.
- The Food--Keep food on the light and tidy side. You don't want greasy fingers or stains on the clothes. After eating and chatting and the first round of cocktails, pass around the baby wipes before you start handling the finery.
- The Swap--The real fun begins as you try on fresh looks. Your best pals will stop you from taking anything that doesn't do you justice, and you'll get a kick out of seeing your own wardrobe refugees find loving new homes. If two girls make a play for the same dress, let them roll dice, cut cards, or do the old rock-paper-scissors to see who takes it home. Or they can barter. It's all good fun. Then crank up the tunes and put on a fashion show!
- The Tips--Keep this ladies-only so everyone is comfortable with the group dressing-room dynamic. Depending on the crowd, you might consider giving guests a ticket for every item they bring; this entitles them to an equal number of takeaways. To keep things even more organized, if that's how you roll, draw names out of a hat to take turns trying on outfits. Provide big shopping bags for bringing home the swag. Any unclaimed items can be donated to a woman’s shelter or other worthy cause.
Strut the catwalk to a fierce fashion beat
- Fashion, David Bowie
- Raspberry Beret, Prince
- Leather and Lace, Stevie Nicks
- London Bridge, Fergie
- Material Girl, Madonna
- These Boots are Made for Walkin', Nancy Sinatra
- Get the Party Started, Pink
- New Attitude, Pattie LaBelle
- Knock 'Em Out, Lily Allen
- Sexy Back, Justin Timberlake