When you're on the sick list, just about any warm and comforting soup can make you feel a little better. But some soups are actually better than others at keeping you nourished, hydrated, uncongested, and soothed. Try these top picks, and get well soon.
"This was a great soup. Easy to get down when my stomach was upset." — Christy Cooks
"So good, so comforting, so easy." — ROCKES
3) Miso Soup
"I made this with kelp, which when cooked a bit becomes soft. I also added a tbsp each of fresh ginger and garlic, which I minced. Altogether it makes a very nutritious (and hopefully cold-fighting) soup." — rfairman
"This recipe rocks! I've had the flu for a few days now and made this recipe earlier today. It is so good, and the ginger is great for the tummy problems." — christine
"It is especially nice if you are feeling a bit under the weather." — Maxine
"FANTASTIC! Best squash soup I've ever had, and love that there's no fattening cream involved." — Victoriaren
"The soup was delicious and perfect for a cold winter's night." — LynneinVA
"I made this soup for its healing benefits, but I ended up loving it so much I'd make it anytime! It truly is 'healing' and not just for cold/flu season." — Heather
"Quick and easy. Perfect for when everyone starts getting the colds and the weather starts to turn yucky." — SusieHomemaker
"It is somewhat spicy and is very, very good for if you have a cold, would like to warm up in the winter, or want to clear your nose." — K.Hamel
"This IS very comforting, nutritious and low in calories...not to mention economical!" — Carla Cleary
"It helped settle my stomach and was super easy to make." — Rissa
"This soup hit the spot and is great when you have to feed a family who is suffering with colds." — NPINCEK
"More comforting than chicken soup with our current terrible head colds!" — Queen Llemon
Best Bets For Feel-Better Soups
- Broth-based soups. Easy to sip. Easy to digest. Soothing for sore throats.
- Simple proteins. Try easily digestible tofu, shredded chicken, or seafood to keep your strength up while you're fighting off the bugs.
- Healthy Ingredients. Soups made with onions, garlic, tomatoes, and greens are rich in antioxidants. For a quick nutritional boost, serve broth-based soups over raw or lightly sautéed spinach instead of noodles.
- Congestion-busters. Some folks swear by very spicy soups for clearing out those nasal passages. But if you're feeling a bit queasy, you might want to proceed with caution. Staying away from dairy-enriched soups might help fight congestion, but that's not been absolutely proven.
- Tummy-friendly. Ginger is effective at settling nausea. Shave some into your broth soup and sip it all day.