Amazing make-ahead breakfast ideas
There are few things in life that'll will tempt you out of bed faster than the delicious aroma of breakfast in the morning. But, unless you’re checked into in a B&B, chances are you're the one making breakfast. Here's the perfect solution: Assemble a breakfast casserole the night before and bake it in the morning. We have tips for making the best overnight breakfast casseroles, plus 5 of our most popular recipes, perfect for busy weekdays, lazy weekends, or hosting overnight guests. Now you can rest easy knowing you’ve got breakfast handled.
Top Tips for Make-Ahead Breakfast Casseroles
- If your recipes calls for bread, make sure it's day-old bread or dry it out a bit in a warm oven. This helps the bread absorb eggs, milk, or other liquid without making the casserole mushy.
- For breakfast casseroles, cook onions, mushrooms, or bacon fully before layering them up with the other ingredients, otherwise they might come out tasting a bit raw.
- Defrost and drain frozen vegetables before adding them to your casserole. Squeeze defrosted spinach until scant moisture remains.
- Use a glass or ceramic baking dish when you're making breakfast casseroles because eggs can react with metal pans causing discoloration or odd flavors.
- Coat the inside of your baking dish to make serving and clean-up that much easier.
- Use wide, shallow baking pans if you want more surface area for crunchy toppings, but you might have to cut back the total baking time a few minutes. Just keep an eye on it and you'll be fine.
- Fill your baking dish to about three-quarters full to allow room for ingredients to expand or bubble up while baking.
5 Amazing Overnight Breakfast Casserole Recipes
1. Overnight Blueberry French Toast | Bakes in 1 hour
Want to seriously impress your overnight guests? Here's the recipe everyone loves. Rich, sweet, creamy, and served with a tangy blueberry sauce over the top or on the side. Watch the video to see how to make it.
2. Farmer’s Casserole | Bakes in 45 minutes
Layer your favorite vegetables in this hash brown and egg casserole. Reviewers suggest spicing it up with pepperjack cheese, canned chilies, or jalapenos.
3. Breakfast Strata | Bakes in 1 hour 15 minutes
Feed a crowd with this big beautiful strata. But, it’s easily scaled if you’re just cooking for two, just click on “Change Servings” to change up the recipe.
4. Baked Coconut French Toast with Pineapple-Rum Sauce | Bakes in 30 minutes
The recipe titles tells you everything you need to know about this tropical breakfast treat. Adding rum to the pineapple sauce is, of course, strictly optional. *wink*
5. Eggs Benedict Casserole | Bakes in 50 minutes
Eggs Benedict is easier when you make it ahead of time. Use Canadian bacon, ham, English muffins and hollandaise sauce to make this tangy breakfast casserole.