Parks and Recreation may have ended in 2015, but many of the pop-culture gifts it bestowed upon us live on, including oh-so genius, Galentine's Day. What is ? As Park's heroine, Leslie Knope, explains: "Oh, it's only the best day of the year. Every February 13th, my lady friends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home and just kick it breakfast style. Ladies celebrating ladies. It's like Lilith Fair, minus the angst. Plus, frittatas!"
Whether you will be kicking it breakfast or happy hour style this year, gather your gal pals and start celebrating sisterhood with these recipes and party ideas.
Leslie Knope-Inspired Breakfast Recipes
Pretty much the only way Leslie likes her waffles is with the works (syrup, butter, whipped cream, more syrup). Though she might have to be talked into the strawberries, sweetening them into a syrup will help. And, of course, douse them with whipped cream. Add a side of protein (that frittata!) and you're good to go 'til dinner.
- Classic Waffles
- Simple Strawberry Syrup
- Easy Whipped Cream
- Cheesy Chorizo Frittata
- Gluten-Free Pink Pancakes
Galentine's Day Happy Hour
If you and your friends are working gals and the big day happens to fall on a weekday, celebrate with a happy hour the second everyone punches out.
First up: drinks!
Happy hour at home starts with some bubbles in the glass.
Easy-to-wash down one-bite nibbles.
- Easy Rumaki with Pineapple
- Blue Cheese and Pear Tartlets
- Sun-Dried Tomato Palmiers
- Artichoke Hearts Gratin
- Truffle Lovers' Popcorn
Keep it red, keep it fluffy, keep it chocolatey.
- Valentine Marshmallows
- Chocolate Truffle Cookies
- Real Strawberry Cupcakes
- Raspberry White Chocolate Mousse
- Red Velvet Cookies
Dress Up Your Digs
Go full red and pink with these party decoration ideas from some very creative bloggers, starting with these DYI Fringe Garlands. Perfect for Galentine's Day or any day—am I right?!
Chocolate kisses double as decor with these easy-to-make paper hearts. Use them as place cards or just extra table flair.
Galentine's Day Giving
Okay, you've got the food, the decorations...what else? Duh—presents!
- Valentine's Card Exchange. Have guests bring old-school Valentines for all your girls. If your friends don't know each other well, suggest that everyone share their favorite quote or saying about friendship in the cards (mushy or funny) rather than writing personalized messages.
- Nail Polish Swap. Ask guests to bring two shades of red or pink nail polish, put 'em in a pile, and let everyone pick new ones to take home.
- Secret Cupid. Do a full-fledged gift exchange, Secret Santa style! Set a spending limit and let guests know ahead of time who they'll be buying for.