When the days grow shorter, don’t you love to hunker down for a night in? These top-rated squash casserole recipes boost the cozy factor, offering easy, one-pan meals that are super satisfying. Because aren’t you always trying to figure out what to do with all that beautiful fall and winter squash you couldn’t resist buying at the farmers market?
Surprise! This is actually, technically a fruit. Yeah, who knew? No matter what you call it, people love this brilliant squash with its distinctive, long neck and rounded bottom. Like its cousins, butternut squash is a nutritional powerhouse, packing in Vitamin A, C, and E, as well as potassium (which helps you sleep!) and fiber. It’s sweet, but very low calorie and its firm texture means it doesn’t disappear when casserole-ized.
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Garlic Lasagna
- Gluten-Free Kale and Butternut Squash Gratin
- Autumn Butternut Squash Casserole
- Creamy Butternut Squash Casserole
- Butternut Squash and Pecan Casserole
Spectacular Spaghetti Squash
Before there were zoodles, there was this amazing squash that bakes up like a dream and fluffs into a pasta like texture when coaxed out of the shell with a fork. Most preparations call for ladling sauce on top, but these recipes take that winning combo a step closer to Yummy Town by infusing the sauce into the squash while in the oven. These get massive bonus points for making your kitchen smell like a fancy restaurant. When the shell doubles as a baking dish, that’s genius! Watch the video below for the full scoop.
- Spaghetti Squash Casserole in a Shell
- Baked Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Baked Spaghetti Squash with Beef and Veggies
- Paleo Spaghetti Squash Primavera
Nuts for Acorn Squash
This is another squash that screams: Stuff me and stick me in the oven! Its rustic flavor stands up to assertive seasonings from around the globe, making its creation the perfect way to taste bud travel without ever leaving home. When shopping, look for acorn squash that are heavy and are a mix of green and orange. That’s a good indicator they were vine-ripened, leading to a sweeter flavor.
- Apple-Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Moroccan-Style Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Chef John’s Sausage and Wild Rice Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Curried Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Stuffed Acorn Squash Supreme