Did you accidentally bring home a mealy watermelon? Hey, we've all been there. So let's turn that watermelon frown upside down by reworking it into something worth smiling about.
[gallery type="slideshow" size="large" ids="2100654,2100643,2100646,2100662,2100628,2100634,2100649,2100661,2100640,2102283"]
What is a Mealy Watermelon?
When a watermelon gets too ripe for its own good, the juicy crisp texture of the flesh can turn gritty and dry. If you cut it open, you might see the flesh actually pulling away from the seeds.
To save the situation, you'll want to use the watermelon in recipes where crisp texture isn't a factor. And that means pulling out the blender and giving the offending melon a fast ride to purée town. Once you've changed the texture, you can add a bit of sweetness if it needs it and throw in some flavor boosters like citrus and mint, or even booze it up. You can even pickle the rind.
Look at that. You've just turned a watermelon fail into a whole lot of watermelon win.
1. Watermelon Fizz blends puréed watermelon with coconut water and a touch of stevia for a cooling tropical mocktail.
2. Watermelon-Mint Paletas doubles down on the lime and brightens up with mint to make frozen Mexican-style pops.
3. Watermelon Sangria defies anyone to guess that it started out as a less-than-stellar watermelon.
5. Watermelon Martinis are made with, you guessed it, watermelon juice. The recipe notes tell you how to make juice by blending and straining chunks of watermelon.
6. Watermelon Soup takes a spin in your blender along with lemon juice, honey, and fresh mint. Show that watermelon who's boss by hollowing it out and using it as a serving bowl.
7. Jewel's Watermelon Margaritas can be made with or without tequila. (I know what I'd do.)
8. Yummy Watermelon Pops get extra color and flavor from a handful of raspberries.
9. Chef John's Watermelon Agua Fresca is the perfect refreshment for a hot summer's day. Just take a sip and say aaaahhhhhhhhhhh.
10. Pickled Watermelon Rinds use up every last bit of that watermelon and turns it into sweet/tart pickles you'll want to eat with everything. For best results, use a watermelon variety with a thick rind.
Sometimes a watermelon fail is beyond repair. If the rind is soft, discolored, or downright moldy, you really have no choice but to toss the whole thing — rind, flesh, and all. If you don't see signs of spoilage on the rind but the flesh turns out to be slimy or smelly, toss it.
Never buy a mealy watermelon again! Learn the telltale signs of a perfectly ripe watermelon.
You Might Also Like
- Get more recipes for fresh watermelon.
- Party all summer long with help from our complete guide to summer entertaining.