Here in the Northwest many friends are a) vegan b) avoiding dairy c) lactose-intolerant or d) all of the above. But, thanks to vegan coconut whipped cream, they, their kids, (and fellow dairy-free folk around the country) won't miss out on one of the best parts of dessert: whipped cream! It can be a little tricky to make, but once you get the hang of it, it's all fluffy coconut cream goodness from here on out. Let's whip it, whip it good.
Step 1: Get the Right Coconut Milk
Avoid "lite" coconut milk—it won't whip. Organic coconut milk offers the best consistency. If possible, avoid guar gum as an ingredient, which also inhibits whipping. #Protip: Try several brands until you find which one works best for you. Use the leftover cream and milk in these yummy recipes that call for coconut milk.
Step 2: Chill Your Tools
An hour before game time, put a metal mixing bowl and your beaters of choice (for me, the whisk beaters worked best) in the freezer for an hour to chill. The colder you keep all the moving parts, the loftier your whipped cream will be!
Step 3: Scoop Out the Cream and Whip It Good
See how the pros on the Allrecipes video crew make it happen!
Step 4: Attempt Not to Devour the Entire Bowl in One Sitting
Tips for Success
• Variations on this basic version abound: add citrus zest, matcha (green tea) powder, cocoa, almond extract, pumpkin pie spice, mmm…!
• Avoid “lite” coconut milk—it won’t whip. Organic coconut milk offers the best consistency. I have had the best success with Native Forest® or Whole Foods 365 Everyday Value® brands.
• Serve immediately for best flavor and consistency. If you must store it, refrigerate in a glass container or Mason jar for up to 3 days. Shake or whisk gently to fluff the cream again before serving.
• Plan ahead, because the coconut milk needs to chill overnight. You might want to keep a can or two of coconut milk cold in your fridge so that you’re always ready to make this recipe!
You might also like...
- No one will guess these decadent desserts are dairy-free
- 6 Quick, Delicious Vegan “Nice Cream” Recipes
- Sweet Vegan Treats to Beat the Afternoon Slump
- Slather your fresh batch of coconut cream all over these dairy-free desserts
- Find more dairy-free recipes for every meal of the day.